Let’s go back to the meaning of the word Holistic. It means to look at the whole instead of just the parts. To me, if I am being Wholistic (looking at my whole being), and then I get to decide what to eat based on what is best for all parts of my being in Body, Mind, and Soul. You can read more on What is a Holistic Health Coach.
I like to give my body the most nutrient-dense foods which are; fruits and veggies.
No doubt, I have been on, what I would call, an “accelerated path of evolution” with my eating choices since 2013 when I had my son Bodhi. I have been on a mission to heal my body. Which I have done in many ways and keep learning how to do more. Then that morphed into a relationship of deep love where my desire to give my body the best has become more important than all the satisfying unhealthy foods I use to consume and feel like I could not live without. I am still on this path and have more to learn.
Honestly, the path has not been easy. I have had to replace a lot of old habits with new ones. Shifting stubborn thoughts and beliefs is challenging and mind-blowing. For sure, I remember thinking,
“ There is no way I can shift this and here is my list of reasons why!”winslow passey
Yet, as I continued to study, feel, learn, listen, and understand more clearly, I began to see the importance of changing some of my habits like:
- Going to be earlier
- Eating earlier
- Eating better
- Eating mindfully, etc.
And hey, if you are just starting out on making some changes, then I encourage you to have compassion for yourself. It is a journey. Unquestionably, there are some strategies that can really help.
Important things to understand about the journey
- Knowledge is motivating – deeper understanding = excitement to shift
- Mindset is key – You can not create a new reality for yourself with the same beliefs
- Self-talk is important – What you say in your mind, the body will follow (Listen)
- Learning to understand your emotions and utilize them. Indeed, emotions, food, and habits are all intertwined. What you feel and think about you, influences the choices you make.
- Habit change is science. There are tools to help you make lasting change in your life. Transformation is possible. I wonder, how big can you dream?
- Get really in tune with you and LISTEN! – Develop your intuition
How to Eat Wholistically? In Body:
- Eat things grown from the earth
- Grow your own food
- Grow sprouts in your kitchen
- Reduce/eliminate animal products
- Reduce/Minimize fat
- Avoid overeating
- Chew your food well
- Eat mostly fruits and veggies
How to Eat Wholistically? With Mindfulness:
- Slow things down
- Notice your thoughts
- Understand how your thoughts/emotions affect your eating choices/habits
- Eat Mindfully
- Give Thanks
- Feel your emotions as they arise
- Let go of being right
- Have an open mind
- Connect with the food you are eating with gratitude
- Breath well
- Slow things down
- Trust yourself
- Develop your intuition
- Be bold
- Be Creative
- Be loving and kind to yourself
How to Eat Wholistically? Mindfulness Eating Activity:
- Turn off your phone for a minute or silence it.
- Find some fruit like an apple, orange, banana, grape, watermelon, or pineapple.
- Create a plate with beautiful slices as you practice gratitude.
- At the same time, smile and hum your favorite tune.
- Certainly, you can dance if you want to.
- Then go outside with your fruit. Sit on the earth in the sunshine (bring a blanket and a cup of herbal tea with honey if you like.).
- Finally, eat very slowly, chew the slices well,
- Suck the juice out of your food and taste its delight
- Savor the flavors
- Enjoy your breath
- Notice all of your senses – Smell, sight, sound, taste, and touch
- Imagine your food bringing you energy, light, and nutrition.
- Invite a sense of well-being from the crown of your head to your toes through every cell of your being.
Now that will be great!